Friday, May 9, 2008

Listening Station :: Santogold

For a little while now, I've been hearing a lot of talk about this new, up-and-coming phenom in the indie music circles - an artist who many have been comparing to M.I.A., the Pixies, Spank Rock and Diplo. Obviously, I had to check her out.
Hailing from Philadelphia, Santi White, otherwise known as Santogold, has been rising in the ranks of artists to watch. Once an A&R rep at Epic Records, she decided to leave the business to pursue her love of producing and recording. Working with a variety of artists and genres has obviously taken hold of Santi's sound. Now, I'm not normally too much into M.I.A.'s type of music, but there was something about this sound that hooked me right away. With influences ranging from punk and ska to funk and pop, one has a hard time NOT getting hooked on this sound. This album's range is all over the place. Every song has a distinct feel to it.
I am truly impressed with this gal, and can't wait to see her perform live. You can definitely expect to see this fantastic debut on my best of list at the end of the year.

You'll Find A Way – mp3
Say Aha – mp3
Lights Out (Remix) – mp3

No comments: