Friday, June 26, 2009

The King Has Fallen

This is history in the making, folks. The King of Pop, Michael Jackson, dead at the age of 50 from cardiac arrest. It's surprising, yet it's not. It's just really fucking sad. Say what you will about all his craziness, not to mention all the accusations of pedophilia and shit, the man is a legend. He's this generation's Elvis. I don't know if he did or didn't do the crimes he was accused of, but you cannot dispute that this man single-handedly changed the landscape of music as it stands today. He practically made MTV! He's gone platinum more times than most groups could ever dream. The dude broke boundaries everywhere. I don't give a shit if you were black, white, brown, rich, poor, male or female...you knew his tunes, and they rocked the house. Sure he was a whack job, but I honestly believe he didn't realize what we all saw as the actions of a sick man was just that. I don't think the guy ever really grew up. He was lonely, broken down and no more than a shell of the legend he became over the years. There's no telling what sort of details will come to light now that the facts are being gathered around his death, but the fact remains the throne in the world of music sits empty now. Below I've included a classic live performance from 1987 of his hit "Thriller". Tell me that man didn't know how to entertain a crowd. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go blast "Rock With You" as loud as I can.


No comments: